Geelong Play Space
Geelong Play Space is an exciting playground in Geelong's Eastern Park.
The Geelong Play Space is an exciting concept in playground design, integrating children with disabilities in a unique play environment. Located in the heart of the Geelong’s Eastern Park - adjacent to the Geelong Botanic Gardens - the Geelong Play Space provides a model of excellence in playground design for the State.
Facilities and Activities
|The Play Space provides a facility enabling social interaction between all children including, but not limited to, those with special needs, their peers, carers and family members. It is an attractive natural space for everyone to use and is unique in design,
considering different ability levels and providing an activity space for a wide age range.
The Play Space is an initiative of the Committee for Geelong – a regional think tank organisation representing business, government and industry that aims to improve the economic, environmental and social wellbeing of the Barwon region. In 2001, the committee and local councils, supported by enormous community encouragement, identified the need for a regional play space that could cater for children with disabilities, providing a model of inclusive design for the region.
The Geelong Play Space is an exciting concept in playground design, integrating children with disabilities in a unique play environment. The playground covers about 3000 square metres of area and has over 3000 plants.
Children of all abilities can play, explore, wonder and learn about life's cycle of change.
Designed by Ric McConaghy, in conjunction with Red Box Design Group, the Play Space ensures the whole playground is suitable for people of all ages and all abilities. The design objectives were:
- To create a special Play Space for all, allowing for physical and explorative play and a sense of wonder within a culturally sensitive environment.
- To create a series of levels of play opportunity linked by access ramps, separated by hanging gardens, with interactive art elements – all encouraging a sense of wonder and engagement.
- To create a metaphorical cycle (circle) of landscape - suggesting the evolution from the original land and plants of Gondwanaland, on a play journey through the evolving native vegetation, to the impact of the arrival of Europeans and the changes that this brought to the native vegetation, landscape and culture - culminating in a built structure of contemporary living
There are 20 significant landscape areas or features to find and explore within the Play Space - you will need to visit to find out more!
- Accessible parking and general parking spaces are available
- Public toilets including Accessible toilets are available
- Facilities BBQ's, picnic tables and shade structures are adjacent to the Play Space
- Liberty Swing
Liberty Swing Key Access
You can collect a key for this swing from either:
Just replace the key in the handy key return box near the Play Space entrance when you are ready to leave the playground.
You don't need to book the Geelong Play Space - just come along and enjoy your play!
How to get there...
The Geelong Play Space is located at Eastern Park, just off the Eastern Park Circuit - Melways Ref 402 Q4.
Click on the question to view the answer
Eastern Park - Can I book the BBQs?