Appeal against an infringement or fine

You may appeal or contest any infringement notice you receive from the City of Greater Geelong.

If you believe you should not have received an infringement, the appeal options available to you are:

  • Appeal online

  • By fax - we will accept written appeals on fax number 03 5272 4072

  • by post to:

    City of Greater Geelong
    PO Box 1215
    Geelong VIC 3220

Notification of the outcome of your appeal will be sent to the postal address you provide prior to any further action being taken.

All communication in relation to appealing an infringement needs to be in writing or on-line. The appeal process usually takes 21 to 28 working days and you will be advised by correspondence the outcome.

If you are not satisfied with the response you received as a result of your appeal, you have the right to elect to have the matter heard and determined in Court upon written notification being forwarded to:

Greater Geelong City Council
PO Box 1215
Geelong Vic 3220

Please note: Objecting to an infringement does not mean that the penalty notice has or will be waived. The penalty notice remains outstanding until you receive notification in writing of the outcome of the investigation.

Parking infringements

Before appealing against a parking infringement it is important to ensure that you understand the Road Rules in relation parking.

To assist with the appeals process in relation to your penalty infringement, you should tell us:

  • Your infringement number
  • Your vehicle registration number
  • The date of issue on your infringement
  • The driver/owner details of the vehicle
  • Your contact details
  • Whether you have read Parking - The Road Rules and You brochure
  • The circumstances which led to you being issued with a Penalty Infringement Notice.

Common Questions

Click on the question to view the answer
View Question
Infringement appeal options - Can I appeal further if I don't like the Ombudsman's decision?
If you are not satisfied with the response from the Ombudsman, you will need to take the matter to court as it states in the Ombudman's response letter.

View this question in full

View Question
Infringement appeals - What is the process?

Once your appeal has been logged to the infringement you will receive a letter of acknowledgement confirming receipt of the appeal.  This letter advises that the infringement has been placed on hold to be reviewed.

At this time you are not required to pay the infringement.

The review process may take a few weeks, and at the completion of the review you will receive written notification of the outcome. 

If your appeal is unsuccessful, a new due date for payment will be provided.

View this question in full

View Question
No Parking areas - Can I stop there?
Yes, you can stop in a No Parking area for up to two minutes, provided you are setting down or picking up a passenger or loading or unloading goods.

The driver must stay within 3 metres of the vehicle.

View this question in full

View Question
No Stopping Zone - Why did I get an infringement?
No Stopping means no stopping at all - even if you are only letting someone out of the car, and regardless of whether you leave the engine running and stay in the car.

Stopping in a No Stopping Zone is an offence, unless you are outside the times specified on the sign.

View this question in full

View Question
Ombudsman - Can I speak with the Ombudsman?
No - all communication with the Ombudsman needs to be in writing.

The Ombudsman will return any correspondence in letter form as soon as possible, usually within 21 to 28 working days.

View this question in full

View Question
Road Rules - Where can I get information?
For information on the Road Rules in Victoria please contact VicRoads on 131 171 or click on to the VicRoads - Rules, Standards and Regulations website.

View this question in full